University Of Nebraska Lincoln (Brief History)..copy & paste from

The University of Nebraska was chartered in 1869, two years after Nebraska's statehood. After much political maneuvering and public controversy, the capital of Nebraska was relocated to Lincoln from the territorial capital, Omaha. A State Building Commission consisting of the Governor, David Butler, the Secretary of State, Thomas P. Kennard, and the State Auditor, David Gillespie, selected the site for the capital city, the State Capitol building, the State Penitentiary, the State Asylum, and the future University. Unlike neighboring Kansas and Iowa, Nebraska's early lawmakers elected to create one unified University, combining both the goals of traditional higher educational institutions with the goals of the newly legislated Morrill Act. This act, designed to provide industrial and agricultural education to the working and middle classes, has come to be known as the Land Grant act. Utilizing the program set forth in the Morrill Act, a state was able to anticipate a federal gift of public lands if a public university devoted to agricultural and industrial education was established. In Nebraska, 90,000 acres were expected. This land could be sold for revenue to build a new university, or could be held for future profits.
The State Building Commission identified four city blocks within the new capital city for the location of the University campus. This land was located on the north edge of the planned downtown area--a flat, treeless plain that offered little in the way of natural beauty, and eventually would stand in the way of the railroads which were building toward Lincoln. In spite of this, the Building Commission's decision held and the University of Nebraska campus was born.The first campus comprised four city blocks bounded on the west by 10th street and on the east by 12th street. The northern boundary was T Street, and on the south, soon abutting downtown, was R Street. University Hall, the first building constructed for University purposes, was sited in the center of the campus in 1870, and remained the only structure on campus for 15 years. This original four block tract remained intact until 1908, when the precursor to Memorial Stadium was constructed north of T Street in what was then a residential area.
Today the original campus remains and is home to several of the University's important historic buildings.

  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS


Alhamdulillah, terima kasih kerana membaca. Syukran Jazilan